Tuesday 1 July 2014

BIG HAIR: PRODUCTS, TIPS N' TRICKS



My quest for big hair has become a bit of an in-joke amongst my uni housemates and I over the last couple of years and in my halls I was always first point of call for all flat hair troubles. My hair is fine but I have lots of it, meaning it looks thick, but falls flat pretty easily. When it comes to volumizing products, I’ve tried every gimmick on offer - from sprays, powders and creams. I’m no hairdresser and my hair isn’t Cheryl Coles just yet, but I’ve picked up some tips and tricks along the way which I thought I’d share….

The hairdryer is your friend, even when your hair isn’t wet. I personally prefer to let my hair dry naturally because I find blow drying makes my hair frizzy. Instead I use my hairdryer on a cool setting after I’ve styled my hair to keep my ‘do in place. It adds volume as well as keeping it looking really shiny and healthy.

Backcombing. A slightly obvious one but it really does make all the difference, especially now backcombing brushes are easier to get hold of. I picked mine up in Primark for a £1! I find the best way use them is to spray your products into the hair and work them in by backcombing. It creates the volume whilst ‘sealing’ the products into the hair, making sure they last all day long.

Keep your products light. Products can easily weigh down the hair so when it comes to big hair I find less is more. I’ve ditched heavy mousses, creams and gels and replaced them with sprays and powders. Not only are these a lot lighter, but they also create less build up which makes washing your hair a lot easier.

Upside down styling isn’t the answer. This was my downfall for years. Blow drying/backcombing/styling only creates width and unruly locks rather than height. You’re better off keeping your head upright and lifting up sections individually, working in the product underneath. It keeps your locks smooth whilst still adding plenty of height.


So,if you have any big hair tips feel free to share in the comments, I’m always on the hunt for new products and new styling techniques!





25 comments:

  1. Great tips! I'm always looking for ways to add volume to my hair!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style, Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. great blogpost! love your blog too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips , gorgeous girl x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really enjoyed reading this post. Although my hair is thick it falls very flat. I really want to try the V05 Plump It Up - hoping it will help!

    JordanAlice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips! Your hair is so pretty!

    The Sunday Chapter
    Angela xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Batiste XXL dry shampoo. Great instant fix for volumous hair x

    http://whatisinherwardrobe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the tips! My hair is incredibly frizzy and tends to be slightly limp as well. Would you be interested in following each other on bloglovin, by any chance? x

    FASHION, EATS & TREATS

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely need to try some of these, I've heard great things about the VO5!! :-) XXX

    www.stylapetite.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love the salt spray, great for summer! x
    http://amytalks96.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are all such great tips! I really want to try the got2b texturizing spray :)

    Millie x
    smudgesofthoughts

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so helpful! My hair doesn't have any volume usually so I really need good products which will make it look better :)
    xx
    Mia


    www.senescence.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Batiste XXL is my holy grail - I cannot even count how many cans I have been through. If I want big hair I tend to blast my hair dry with the initial 15 seconds or so upside down. I don't blow-dry my hair properly at all because any excess of styling just makes my hair greasy and heavy and you don't want that for volume!

    Rachael at rachaelisnotwowzie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Backcombing is great for volume!! Great blog dear :)


    x Jacquelyn
    www.thestyleworthwhile.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have the same problem! I`ve thick hair but it still looks lifeless unless I tie it in a bun the whole day or something :(

    5 $100 Urban Decay NAKED vouchers up for grabs! Join my giveaway!
    ROUGH & TOUGH☯ | I`m on Bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can totally relate so this has been such a helpful read!

    WISH UPON A SMILE

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have the same problem with my hair! That plump it up spray is EXCELLENT! ~ Claire

    My Summer Essentials Competition!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your hair looks lush!

    www.britishbeautyaddict.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. The backcombing brush is definitely a must for big hair! I love mine! xx

    Lauraslittleloves

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your hair - really nice color. xoxo Vanessa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read and appreciate every single one. I don't do follow for follow so please don't ask, but feel free to leave your blog link as I love discovering new blogs! x